A recipe from Maria-Carin’s wonderfully produced and illustrated cookbook, Lick Your Plate!
An Eastern European classic which was probably shared not just amongst the whole family, but also the neighbours – an inexpensive, nourishing way to share food. All those healthy ingredients are cleansing and great for the waning moon phase, but honestly, I’d have it anytime. Who wouldn’t want to enjoy immune boosting (and cancer-fighting) cruciferous vegetables in a gorgeous bowl of soup?
This soup becomes a special affair when you serve it with Tofu Sour Cream and some Cornbread. The only thing you have to decide is whether you prefer your vegetables cut lengthwise or cubed. Experience how cutting veggies in a different way can make such a big difference to the outcome of your dish. I like both. Can be served wonderfully hot or cold, just adjust to the weather, but some kind of bread is a must. Smacznego!
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, 2 cups, thinly julienne or quartered
4 beetroots, 3 cups or 360g, diced
1/4 red or white/green cabbage, 3 cups, 300g, chopped
2 medium potatoes, chopped into small cubes
2 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
2 tsp caraway seeds
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper, to taste
Optional: 2 tsp rapadura or rice syrup
4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Tofu Sour Cream with added horseradish is very exciting with this soup
- In a big beautiful pot fry the onions and caraway seeds gently in olive oil, add garlic, then add the rest of the vegetables and stir a few minutes.
- Add water, bay leaves, a bit of salt, sweetener and cook on low heat until all the vegetables are soft.
- Then add vinegar, more salt, if needed, pepper and let sit for a whole while for the soup to infuse in itself and become more creamy, but you can eat it straight away too.
- This soup becomes even better the next day when the flavours developed deeply.
- Serve with fresh dill, Tofu Sour Cream, Cornbread, good company or crusty bread.
This recipe can be found on page 148 in Maria-Carin’s cookbook, Lick Your Plate! The Tofu Sour Cream is on page 194 and the Cornbread on page 76.
Lick Your Plate!
by Maria-Carin Gala
Cookbook from Gala’s plant-based, gluten-free and refined sugar-free Organic Kitchen
Hardback (with ebook) available through the author:
If you want to work with Maria-Carin one-to-one and receive personalised online or in-person cooking coaching, you can do that. Book online on her website or by emailing her directly: firstname.lastname@example.org And if you want to be notified of her upcoming classes, events or other healthy and delicious news you can sign up to her mailing list here: galasorganickitchen.com