In this video, Russell Brand, widely-known firebrand (pun intended) and comedian, introduces his recently published book about overcoming addiction.
In his new book, Brand offers a 12-step program to help overcome addictions – the steps are an adapted version of those established by Alcoholics Anonymous. He uses strong expletives but that might add to the attraction to embark on tackling one’s addictions. Russell delivers his 12 steps with self-appreciative humour, honesty and playfulness – in short, with great panache.
The twelve steps:
1. Are you fucked?
2. Could you not be fucked?
3. Are you, on your own, going to “unfuck” yourself?
4. Write down all the things that are fucking you up or have ever fucked you up and don’t lie, or leave anything out.
5. Honestly tell someone trustworthy about how fucked you are.
6. Well that’s revealed a lot of fucked up patterns. Do you want to stop it? Seriously?
7. Are you willing to live in a new way that’s not all about you and your previous, fucked up stuff? You have to.
8. Prepare to apologize to everyone for everything affected by your being so fucked up.
9. Now apologize. Unless that would make things worse.
10. Watch out for fucked up thinking and behaviour and be honest when it happens.
11. Stay connected to your new perspective.
12. Look at life less selfishly, be nice to everyone, help people if you can.
Thanks to Vandana