Jesica L. Santos’ list of favourite quotes (many of which are by Osho) published in Huffington Post on 24th November 2014.
Start Living Life to the Fullest:
Powerful Phrases to Inspire you to Spiritual Greatness
I have selected 75 phrases that have had a profound impact in my life throughout the years. It is my sincere hope that they will deeply inspire you to reach a higher level of awareness and lasting fulfillment in your life in all the realms. May you surrender to the ecstasy of pure being and the enrichment that comes with being conscious about your uniqueness. May you be brave enough to decide to share the inexhaustible love that your spirit contains. And may you be lucky enough to experience the potential in existence automatically.
Be in the Present Moment
1. “Don’t postpone your happiness until some perfect future date. Be happy now, tomorrow will take care of itself.” — Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
2. “The past is no more and the future is not yet: both are unnecessarily moving in directions which don’t exist. One used to exist, but no longer exists, and one has not even started to exist. The only right person is one who lives moment to moment, whose arrow is directed to the moment, who is always here and now; wherever he is, his whole consciousness, his whole being, is involved in the reality of here and in the reality of now. That is the only right direction.” — Osho 1)
3. “Forever is composed of nows.” — Emily Dickinson
4. “To live in the memories, to live in the imagination, is to live in the non-existential. And when you are living in the non-existential, you are missing that which is existential.” — Osho 2)
5. “The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly.” — Buddha
6. “Nothing ever happened in the past that can prevent you from being present now; and if the past cannot prevent you from being present now, what power does it have?” — Eckhart Tolle
7. “It is a mistake to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time.” — Winston Churchill
Say Yes to Love
8. “Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love. It will not lead you astray” — Rumi
9. “It is the possibility that keeps me going, not the guarantee.” — Nicholas Sparks
10. “There are secret forces at work leading together those who belong together. We must yield to this attraction, then we make no mistakes.” — I-Ching
11. “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” — Rumi
12. “Falling in love you remain a child; rising in love you mature. By and by love becomes not a relationship, it becomes a state of your being. Not that you are in love — now you are love.” — Osho 3)
13. “Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.” — Dalai Lama
14. “Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth, “You owe me.” Look what happens with a love like that. It lights the whole sky.” — Hafez
15. “To love is to recognize yourself in another.” — Eckhart Tolle
16. “Of course, I love you,’ the flower said to him. ‘If you were not aware of it, it was my fault.” — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
17. “Love doesn’t need reason. It speaks from the irrational wisdom of the heart.” — Deepak Chopra
18. “He is more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.” — Emily Brontë
19. “With our love we can change the world — If they only knew.” — George Harrison
20. “I have a very strong feeling that the opposite of love is not hate — it’s apathy. It’s not giving a damn.” — Leo Buscaglia
21. “Love loves to love love.” — James Joyce
22. “Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.” — Lao Tzu
23. “Love protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.” — Corinthians 13
Choose the Path to Take
24. “There is a plan, and your soul knows what it is.” — Deepak Chopra
25. “You should rest in reason and move in passion.” — Khalil Gibran
26. “To make the right choices in life, you have to get in touch with your soul. To do this, you need to experience solitude, which most people are afraid of, because in the silence you hear the truth and know the solutions.”– Deepak Chopra
27. “Nothing is more important than reconnecting with your bliss. Nothing is as rich. Nothing is more real.” — Deepak Chopra
28. “All the forces in the world are not as powerful as an idea whose time has come.” — Victor Hugo
29. “As you start to walk on the way, the way appears.” — Rumi
Disempower the Ego
30. “If you want to reach a state of bliss, then go beyond your ego and the internal dialogue. Make a decision to relinquish the need to control, the need to be approved, and the need to judge. Those are the three things the ego is doing all the time.” — Deepak Chopra
31. “If you identify with a mental position, then if you are wrong, your mind-based sense of self is seriously threatened with annihilation. So you as the ego cannot afford to be wrong. To be wrong is to die. Wars have been fought over this, and countless relationships have broken down.” — Eckhart Tolle
32. “Every time you are about to act, ask yourself: Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy?” — My grandpa, J.J.S.
33. “The ego relies on the familiar. It is reluctant to experience the unknown, which is the very essence of life.” — Deepak Chopra
34. “The ego seeks to divide and separate. Spirit seeks to unify and heal.” — A course in miracles
Be Open to Life
35. “Even when you think you have your life all mapped out, things happen that shape your destiny in ways you might never have imagined.” — Deepak Chopra
36. “What you seek is seeking you.” — Rumi
37. “There is nothing like a dream to create the future.” — Victor Hugo
38. “Be realistic: Plan for a miracle.” — Osho 4)
39. “Life is a dream, realize it.” — Mother Theresa
Embrace the Unknown
40. “When in doubt, doubt the doubt!” — Deepak Chopra
41. “The seed cannot know what is going to happen, the seed has never known the flower. But do not doubt that the seed has the potentiality to become a beautiful flower.” — Osho 5)
42. “Courage is a love affair with the unknown.” — Osho
43. “Just when the caterpillar thought [it] was all over, it became a butterfly”. — English Proverb
44. “Why do you stay in prison, when the door is so wide open?” — Rumi
45. “Feed your dreams and starve your fears.” — Me, J.L.S.
46. “You have to drop all your defenses, only then is intimacy possible. We are all hiding a thousand and one things, not only from others but from ourselves.” — Osho 6)
47. “If a problem is fixable, if a situation is such that you can do something about it, then there is no need to worry. If it’s not fixable, then there is no help in worrying. There is no benefit in worrying whatsoever.” — Dalai Lama
48. “The more you are motivated by love, the more fearless and free your action will be.” — Dalai Lama
49. “Fear is the cheapest room in the house. I would like to see you living in better conditions.” — Hafez
50. “If it is love you are looking for, take a knife and cut off the head of fear.” — Rumi
51. “Don’t give in to your fears. If you do, you won’t be able to talk to your heart.” — Paulo Coelho
52. “The wound is the place where the Light enters you.” — Rumi
53. “I wish I could show you when you are lonely or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being.” — Hafez
54. “There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophies.” — Friedrich Nietzsche
55. “Love is the great miracle cure. Loving ourselves works miracles in our lives.” — Louise Hay
56. “There is no remedy for love but to love more.” — Henry David Thoreau
Search for Answers Within
57. “There is a voice that does not use words. Listen.” — Rumi
58. “Wherever you go you will find people lying to you, and as your awareness grows, you will notice that you also lie to yourself. Do not expect people to tell you the truth because they also lie to themselves. You have to trust yourself and choose to believe or not to believe what someone says to you.” — Miguel Ruiz
59. “Truth is not something outside to be discovered, it is something inside to be realized.” — Osho 7)
60. “Try to realize it is all within yourself no one else can make you change, and to see you are only very small and life flows on within you and without you.” — George Harrison
61. “Happiness is your nature. It is not wrong to desire it. What is wrong is seeking it outside when it is inside.” — Ramana Maharshi
62. “There is nothing outside you.” — A course in miracles
Think Less, Feel More
63. “Don’t allow your mind to tell your heart what to do. The mind gives up easily.” — Paulo Coelho
64. “It is not a question of learning much. On the contrary. It’s a question of UNLEARNING much.” — Osho 8)
65. “In the space of no-mind, truth descends like light.” — Osho
66. “Passion is a feeling that tells you: this is the right thing to do. Nothing can stand in my way. It doesn’t matter what anyone else says. This feeling is so good that it cannot be ignored. I’m going to follow my bliss and act upon this glorious sensation of joy.” — Wayne Dyer
67. “There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.” — Wayne Dyer
68. “Love just happens. Nobody thinks about how to love, or when and where to love. Nobody is rational about love. Rational thought hinders love. Love is a sudden rising in the heart. Love is an unavoidable, un-obstructable longing for oneness. There is no logic in this. It is beyond logic. So do not try to be rational about love. It is like trying to give reasons for the river to flow, for the breeze to be cool and gentle, for the moon to glow, for the sky to be expansive, for the ocean to be vast and deep, or for the flower to be fragrant and beautiful. Rationalization kills the beauty and charm of these things. They are to be enjoyed, experienced, loved and felt.” — Amma
Have no Regrets
69. “One regret, dear world that I am determined not to have when I am lying on my deathbed is that I did not kiss you enough.” — Hafez
70. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” — Mark Twain
71. “Never regret something that made you smile.” — Unknown
72. “The saddest summary of a life contains three descriptions: could have, might have, and should have.” — Louis E. Boone
73. “Life is too short, or too long, for me to allow myself the luxury of living it so badly.” — Paulo Coelho
74. “Tell him yes. Even if you are dying of fear, even if you are sorry later, because whatever you do, you will be sorry all the rest of your life if you say no.” — Gabriel García Márquez
75. “I have committed the worst of sins one can commit… I have not been happy.” — Jorge Luis Borges
Notes by Osho News
1) But the past is no more and the future is not yet: both are unnecessarily moving in directions which don’t exist. One used to exist, but no longer exists, and one has not even started to exist.
The only right person is one who lives moment to moment, whose arrow is directed to the moment, who is always here and now; wherever he is, his whole consciousness, his whole being, is involved in the reality of here and in the reality of now. That’s the only right direction.
The Great Zen Master Ta Hui, ch 37
2) To live in the memories, to live in the imagination, is to live in the non-existential. And when you are living in the non-existential, you are missing that which is existential.
The Last Testament, Vol 5, ch 20
3) Falling in love you remain a child; rising in love you mature. And by and by love becomes not a relationship, it becomes a state of your being. Then it is not that you love this and you don’t love that, no — you are simply love.
The Hidden Harmony, ch 2
4) Be realistic — plan for a miracle.
Ancient Music in the Pines, ch 2
5) The seed cannot know what is going to happen, the seed has never known the flower. And the seed cannot even believe that he has the potentiality to become a beautiful flower.
Dang Dang Doko Dang, ch 4
6) Intimacy brings you close to a stranger. You have to drop all your defenses; only then, intimacy is possible. And the fear is that if you drop all your defenses, all your masks, who knows what the stranger is going to do with you? We are all hiding a thousand and one things — not only from others but from ourselves — because we have been brought up by a sick humanity with all kinds of repressions, inhibitions, taboos. And the fear is that with somebody who is a stranger — and it does not matter, you may have lived with the person for thirty years, forty years; the strangeness never disappears — it feels safer to keep a little defense, a little distance, because somebody can take advantage of your weaknesses, of your frailties, of your vulnerability.
The Hidden Splendor, ch 4
7) Truth is not something outside to be discovered, it is something inside to be realized.
The Discipline of Transcendence, Vol 1, ch 1
8) It is not a question of learning much. On the contrary, it is a question of unlearning much.
Ecstasy – The Forgotten Language, ch 1