Posted by Daniel Edward in the Daily Mail on January 6, 2014
In an bid to encourage punctual tax returns, HMRC (Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs) in England has released a list of bizarre excuses that have accompanied late returns in previous years.
Needless to say, none of the following excuses worked, and all were rewarded with a hefty fine.
1. My pet goldfish died (self-employed builder)
2. I had a run-in with a cow (Midlands farmer)
3. After seeing a volcanic eruption on the news, I couldn’t concentrate on anything else (London woman)
4. My wife won’t give me my mail (self-employed trader)
5. My husband told me the deadline was 31 March, and I believed him (Leicester hairdresser)
6. I’ve been far too busy touring the country with my one-man play (Coventry writer)
7. My bad back means I can’t go upstairs. That’s where my tax return is (a working taxi driver)
8. I’ve been cruising round the world in my yacht, and only picking up post when I’m on dry land (South East man)
9. Our business doesn’t really do anything (Kent financial services firm)
10. I’ve been too busy submitting my clients’ tax returns (London accountant).
Read more about the upcoming tax returns here