(4 January 1943 – 24 February 2018)

310-Deepak (2)
910-Deepak cr Mega
920-motorbyke MEGA

Prem Deepak was born Joseph E. Vidmar in Washington, USA. He went from being a high school dropout to become a Professor of Psychology and Gifted Education as well as a Counseling Psychologist. He later trained to become an NLP Master practictioner and trainer, hypnotherapist, Human Design analyst and LYD guide.

In the ’90s, when he was not on excursion in the hills around Pune on his motorbike, he was seen in a black robe giving astrology sessions for the Mystery School and leading Dynamic and Kundalini Meditations in Buddha Hall.

He started travelling widely conducting sessions, groups and trainings in astrology, Human Design, hypnosis, and meditation, as well as giving individual sessions in astrology and human design.

Most famously, he wrote for many years the horoscope column for Viha Connection Magazine. His last contribution was for the March/April 2018 issue which has just come out.

Deepak lived many years in Taiwan – being married to Veetnisha, a Taiwanese sannyasin – with a 2-year intermission on Bali in the late noughties. He usually spent his winters in Goa, India. This time he fell very ill and was taken care of by Magno and Madita there. Ten days after his return from Goa he died, very quickly and peacefully, at the Wanfang Hospital in Taipei, Taiwan. He had been suffering from Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia.

In the 2008 BBC series ‘Louis Theroux’s spiritual journey’ he is teaching Louis the Dynamic Meditation:

Watch on YouTube – watch the full episode on Daily Motion

Based on text sent in by Bhagawati, Mega and Osho Viha, photos thanks to Brian, Bhagawati, Mega, Ketan – alert credit to Mega, Mahana and Ilaa

Deepak Dying Consciously

by Veetnisha, Deepak’s wife

Deepak left the body with consciousness during the whole process. He followed every word I said to him until he left the body.

Deepak had been very sick in Goa, India – so much gratitude to Magno and Madita who took care of him while he stayed there. It was a really hard time for Deepak.

He came back to Taiwan on 14th February. I found him so slow with everything, thinking that he was losing his memory. Three days later, Deepak fell down and was taken to the Emergency at Wanfang Hospital. It looked like a stroke in every way. But his hands and legs were still strong to lift himself up and move around, just a slow response in words. So he went through a lot of tests; finally the results showed that it was UTI (Urinary Tract Infection). After IV antibiotics, he woke up, very conscious and with a quick response. Then I realized that he must have already been infected in Goa and that he was not losing his memory.

For further checks, to determine what bacteria were in the urine and if there were any in the blood, Deepak was admitted to hospital on 18 February. Later we came to know that the bacteria was E. coli, a very common one. He received IV antibiotics every day and he was getting better and better with this treatment. Everything seemed fine, so much so that on 22nd February he could even walk again and with good balance.

Then, on 23 February things changed. From midnight till early morning Deepak he became very restless, suffering from lots of sweating and feeling cold. I kept swiping the sweat off to give him some relief. He had a bladder test at 11:30 that morning.

Brian and Lorraine came to see Deepak.

I felt that he might leave his body in a week so started staying with him all day and night, not going anywhere, just sometimes left to go to the toilet. I started sending loving-kindness, talking to him and telling him how much I loved him and that I would take good care of myself.

On 24 February things changed even faster. From midnight to early morning he stopped eating and drinking. I kept sending loving-kindness, reciting Medicine Buddha’s name, and praying. When near noontime he started giving off a sound from his throat – one of the signs that tells that the person might leave the body within 24 to 48 hours – I thought that Deepak might leave the body within two days. The hospital tried to do IV or some other intrusive treatment, but I told them that he had already signed up for no NG Tube, no resuscitation or any other intrusive treatment.

I continued sending loving-kindness, reciting Medicine Buddha’s name, and praying. Then all of a sudden a technique of relaxation that Deepak taught in hypnosis came to my mind. I said, “Every sound you hear takes you down to deep, deep, deep relaxation.” Immediately both his hands relaxed and became soft. I kept repeating this to him, with loving-kindness and praying in between.

Now his body was so relaxed. Then suddenly I realised that’s how one’s consciousness leaves the body and another hypnosis technique that Deepak taught came to mind in that moment. I said, “Every sound you hear takes you up, up, lighter, lighter, like a balloon lifting you up, up, up.” Deepak immediately turned and looked straight into my eyes, and stopped there, staring at me, no more movements.

His breathing became very regular, slowly slowly in and out. I kept sending loving-kindness, praying and the balloon-lifting-up technique in between. And then he stopped breathing. I thought that was it. Then he had a big last out-breath with a big, beautiful smile on his face. I wanted to check his pulse, trying to look for this and that. At that moment, his left hand lifted up in the air, holding it up in the air. Just when I wondered what he was doing, he slowly slowly put it down. And at that moment I clearly saw a pulse in a vein of his left hand, pulsing strongly, then became weaker and weaker, until it stopped.

The nurse came in and went to get the doctor. He came to check and diagnosed that Deepak had died at 13:47, 24 February, 2018.

Around 18:00, my shaman teacher and seer came to the hospital to do the Great Death Rites.

Deepak left the body with consciousness, throughout the whole process. He followed every word I said to him. On 23 February I thought he would still have one week to go. Then on 24 February at noon time, I thought he would still have two more days to go through the dying process. But somehow he went through it so smoothly, so quickly, and so peacefully. It looks as if he was so determined to leave the body once he had made the decision, just like when he decided to quit smoking – he just quit after 58 years of smoking, with no regrets, no hesitation, no suffering.

I am so grateful that Deepak was in my life. He taught me so much in every way. He was, is and will always be in my heart, as a great teacher and as a best dear friend, so close to my heart.

Deepak with Veetnisha


You can leave a message / tribute / anecdote using our contact form (please add ‘Deepak’ in the subject field)


Shit, Deepak, not you too? Beautiful man, you lived and loved life fully. You will be missed, especially your witty astrological columns. Fare Thee Well.


Memories of conversation at the back gate smoking temple, slow and measured, laced with dry humour. His Bullet parked nearby, loaded for a trip to Goa. We stubbed out our cigs, a hug, he got on the bike and chugged down lane two, rounded the corner and gone, going easy.

Go easy Deepak.



Dear Deepak,
Thank you bringing the seed of human design to Taiwan. It blossoms beautifully and strong. U must right now be gone to another planet, starting a new journey. Have great fun!



For Deepak ❤

One of a kind, wild, eccentric, unique, rebellious, genius mind, astrologer, wizard, asskicking, smokey voiced, bullet riding, Beloved Deepak.

Last night I stayed awake, pictures and feelings passing through me; the magical moments in Osho Mystery School, the debates at Prem’s over bottles of Kingfisher and papads. The first time we met in the smoking temple – it was one of those humid hot days – you said in your sassy way, “I like that hairdo, looks sexy AND American”… It cracked me up and the spark ignited our sizzling connection. Recalling our dinner where I fainted and the nighttrip on your Enfield makes me giggle. And you offered those superb astrology sessions, times of ranting and lots of laughter in Goa. You were the only one I knew whose breakfast was Coca Cola and cigarettes. You challenged life and you enjoyed it to the fullest.

A lot of rough love and wisdom wrapped in that weathered body. A huge heart. Long time no see, my friend, yet never forgotten. You are loved and will be missed.

I heard you went with a smile – what a way to go. So happy for you.

The ‘Wizzard of Odds’ gone for a ride amongst the stars?

Namaste. Love,


Deepak often referred me to his friends as, “Mega, my motorcycle guru!” We made a lot of trips together across India.



I remember you…
Thanks for all the nice chat we had in Osho Meera.
Gratitude ?
Jaiprakash Ahlawat


Deepak, you are in our hearts and will stay there till we will follow you into the pure nothingness! It was always such a big pleasure to look into your eyes, have a chitchat, laugh together, big man! Thanks for all you shared everywhere every time.
Much love to all of you, family and friends!
Ma Prem Raji

Deepak related a funny story of how he took sannyas. He was the State shrink for the Dept. of Corrections in Louisiana doing counseling with the prisoners, sometime in the 70’s. He had just divorced his wife, been kicked out of the house, living in his van when he showed up for his job at the prison. They searched everybody and sure enough he had a bag a weed hidden in the van. The old boys laughed and said, “Well, son, you just lost your job and you better be leaving the State if you know what’s good for you.” Taking their sage advice, he sold the van and bought a ticket to Poona…

Deepak was one of my favorite human beings. He was such a beautiful, big, sweet, gushy heart behind all that negativity and outrage. We used to have a lot of fun in Pune and back in the States discussing the state of the world. We stayed in touch over these many years via Skype and I always loved our conversations and him. Such a huge love! I will miss him enormously. Someday I hope to publish for him the manuscript he sent me of his journey, A Cowboy In The Buddhafield. He was an amazing soul and we are all blessed to have walked in his field of love.
Travel well, my friend. I love you and thank you for being my friend and traveling companion.

Astro buddy. Fellow Catweazle type wizard. You gave me some of my best laughs ever. Travel the stars delightedly. Smiles ???

Shine on you crazy diamond, thank you for everything.

Thank you brother for sharing your unique beauty. Spending time with you in Pune and Goa truly changed my life. Your last words to me when we said goodbye in Arambol; “It’s not your fault you’re American.” 😉
Sangit Pathik

Once at the backgate the police was loading up Deepak’s bike ‘because of right papers’ or something like that. I saw it and Deepak was shouting: No, no, not my bike… We were with many watching from the smoking temple, and before the bike was lifted onto the truck another Ma and I rushed to the place of the crime. We were arguing with the police saying that the bike cannot talk and cannot show its papers, better put it down. Now! Together we were so powerful that the police indeed put the bike down. Then one Swami came to take over Deepak’s bike. The police was shouted out by two Ma’s – we had no fear! My gosh, what a relief. And Deepak was so happy! His dear bike was saved from the police – they only wanted to hassle Deepak for money!
Prem Nandani

Comments are closed.