Osho’s Charisma

Remembering Here&Now

Ageh Bharti shares some inexplicable moments in Osho’s presence.

Shaheed Smarak Bhavan Jabalpur
Shaheed Smarak Bhavan, today

In 1967, Osho was speaking at Shaheed Smarak Bhavan (The Martyrs’ Memorial Hall) in Jabalpur. The hall was packed to capacity. In his speech, Osho was on heights like an eagle soaring in the sky with wings motionless. Time seemed to have stopped. Suddenly, a young man climbed on the stage by the right side stairs. He wore long wide pants and a shirt and somehow resembled a criminal. One of his hands was in the pocket of the wide pants in a manner as if he were holding something in the pocket, maybe a pistol or a knife. It was absolutely clear to me that the man was there with malintent as he was most unwanted on the stage while Osho addressed the audience.

The man continued moving on the stage and walked behind the curtain at the back and stayed there. He was clearly visible to us through the curtain and his hand was still in the pocket. All Osho friends and even the general audience watched him with dread and many appeared surprised and worried. Osho was not worried in the least about the man and continued to speak. After about seven minutes, the man came out from behind the curtain and walked to the side of Osho’s chair. His hand continuously fidgeted in the pocket of his pants.

He stood to the left of the chair, very close to Osho, and still with his hand in the pocket! But Osho did not care to even look at the man standing at his side and continued with his talk in the most natural manner. Again and again I felt like getting up, rushing to the stage to take that man away and find out who he was. But I could not get up though I wanted to; something prevented me from doing so. And the man remained standing for about five minutes, so close to Osho, and then, abruptly, he walked down the stairs and went out.

After the discourse, Osho friends met one another. Everyone admitted having been afraid of something untoward happening and wanted to get up but could not understand why it hadn’t been possible to do so.

When I went back home and reported the occurrence to my younger brother, Rajwant Singh, he was astonished and got angry. Why couldn’t we have seized the man by his neck? He said the incident was an unforgivable lapse on our part. That man could have done harm to Osho.

The next day, after several friends had made inquiries, it came to light that a hired criminal had been told to stand next to Osho during the lecture. Naturally he should expect some Osho friends to jump onto the stage and to object. The man was to give two or three slaps to that person and run away, that was all. That was the plan. And the next day the newspapers would report about the disturbance during Osho’s appearance and because of that incidence it might have been expected that no more lectures would be held.

Whatever may have been the case, I myself don’t know who the man really was. What was it that he wanted? Why did he stand there on the aisle during Osho’s address? And why was I unable to stand up? Should I perceive that day’s incidence as a serious lapse on our part? Or was it really that Osho mastered the situation and he did not let us get up to abort the address?

It has remained a mystery forever. But one thing I know is that Osho has always been alone – nobody could guard him!

D B Club
Devendra Bengali Club (D B Club), today

Another quite mystifying occurrence happened in March 1969. Osho was to speak at the D B Club in Jabalpur one afternoon at 4 pm. The meeting was presided by Brigadier R. S. Jetly; Stores Officer B. L. Nag of the Gun Carriage Factory (who later became Swami Advait Bharti) had arranged the entire event.

The hall was packed to its capacity, as usual when Osho was scheduled to speak, and the audience appeared anxious to hear him. But he hadn’t arrived yet and I was worried as it was already 3.50 pm. The club was located approximately 6 kilometres from Osho’s residence.

I left the hall to wait for Osho outside. A glance at my watch told me it was 3.52 pm. Then 3.53 pm and I was on pins and needles. Finally at 3.54 pm his car came into sight! He was driving himself and turned from the road to park. I rushed to the car, opened the door and Osho told me that Alok, the driver, had sent a last minute message that he had a temperature and couldn’t drive him, so Osho decided to drive the car himself.

When Osho entered the hall, the audience welcomed him with loud clapping. Calmly Osho took a seat on the podium and Brigadier Jetly sat down as well. Osho asked, “What do you want me to speak about?”

Mr Jetly replied, “Sir, Life today is so busy. How is it possible to seek God? Where is the time for it?” And at exactly 4 pm Osho started to speak, focusing on the search of God in today’s busy life. The discourse was later published in a Hindi booklet under the same title.

Text by Ageh Bharti

Comments are closed.